Wednesday, 20 June 2012

Book Review: Soulbound (Legacy of Tril #1)


What's worse than being blackmailed to attend a hidden school where you're treated like a second-class citizen? How about nearly getting eaten by a monster when you arrive? Or learning that your soulmate was killed in a centuries-old secret war? And then there's the evil king who's determined to rule the world unless you can stop him...

Meet Kaya, a young woman with the power to heal and the determination to fight. But struggle as she will, she remains tied to three very different men: a hero who has forsaken glory, a tyrannical ruler who wants to use Kaya, and a warrior who's stolen her heart. Kaya learns the hard way that some ties can't be broken...and blood is the strongest bond of all.

The synopsis of Soulbound was definitely what attracted me to this book the most, so when Razorbill sent me a copy for review I was pretty ecstatic! I tore through this one pretty quickly, and loved the world of Tril that Heather Brewer spun together! Soulbound, focuses on a secret group of people known as Barrons and Healers who are fighting a century long war against an evil King and his army of monsters. Whenever a Barron is born into the world a Healer is born at the exact same moment (and vice versa), and the two are considered to be "Soulbound" together. A "soulbound" pair is crucial in the war efforts, as Healers are able to save their Barrons from the brink of death with just a single touch. Sounds like a pretty awesome concept right? And that's exactly what it was!

Things I Loved About Soulbound

The Plotline: Soulbound was pretty fast paced and kept my attention the entire time I was reading it! I LOVED the idea of a world where Barrons and Healers are"soulbound" to each other, although I wish the author had spent a bit more time explaining how the whole "soulbounded" thing worked.

The Love Triangle: For some people the use of a love triangle might actually be a negative thing, but I love them! If they are done right they can add a certain amount of tension to the novel that makes the story even more gripping. While I have a pretty solid idea of who Kaya will end up with as the series continues, I can't wait to see how everything works out in the end. Darius and Trayton's friendship will definitely make the love plot more complicated!

The Ending: Talk about a cliffhanger! Although I predicted pretty early on what Darius' secret was, I was expecting the author to go into a bit of detail about it before the book ended. But of course she didn't! Instead, Heather Brewer throws her readers off the edge and let's them try and sort out the details for themselves. There is no way now that I can't read the next book! I need to know more about Darius!

Things That I Disliked About Soulbound

The Lack Of Explanation: As much as I enjoyed this book I struggled with it at times. I found the world that Heather Brewer developed fascinating, but unfortunately she falls short when it comes to explaining its history. For example, she mentions quite frequently the fact that this war is a secret from the regular citizens of Tril, but doesn't explain how these details are kept hidden. Are the citizens that stupid that they don't find it weird when random soldiers start fighting each other or monsters leap out of the forest? The whole concept of being Soulbound was also pretty vague. How is it that Barrons and Healers become Soulbound? Why are they born at the exact same moment as each other? These are just some of the hundreds of questions that I had while reading this book.

Final Thoughts
I'm hoping that some of the questions that I had while reading this book will be answered as the series continues. For the most part I really enjoyed my time spent reading Soulbound, and think it would be perfect for readers who enjoy stories featuring a kickass heroine. I'll definitely be reading the next book to find out what happens next!

Rating: 3.5 Stars 

3 comments:

Ikhlas said...

Great review, Natalie! I haven't heard of this one before, and have been dying to get my hands on some new stuff, since I haven't been liking much of the stuff I've been reading lately (other than THE RECKONING of course hehe), so I'm excited to give this a go.
:)

Jenny said...

Well, I'm loving the cover. The synopsis sounds good too but the lack of background information worries me. It sounds a little like Fever. :(

Andrea @ Cozy Up said...

The synopsis sounds really interesting, and I love the idea of two people being "soulbound" but the lack of explanation definitely turns me off this one. I hate going through a book and not understanding how things happened. At least there were some good things but this is one I, myself, would put off knowing that.

Post a Comment