Sunday, 17 June 2012

Book Review: Poison Study


About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered an extraordinary reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace—and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia.

And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust—and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison.

As Yelena tries to escape her new dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and Yelena develops magical powers she can't control. Her life is threatened again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren't so clear…

Maria V. Snyder has captured my heart again! After falling in love with her latest novel, Touch of Power, I decided to check out some of her earlier series and was immediately intrigued by the synopsis of Poison Study. Luckily for me the book was just as magical and fantastic as the synopsis makes it sound! 

Things I Loved About Poison Study:
Spy Master Extrordinaire: One word: Valek. Although I wasn't sure what to make of Valek for the first few chapters, I fell in love with him pretty quickly! He's mysterious, a badass fighter, and a hero all wrapped up into one super attractive package! I pretty much swooned every time he appeared in a scene!

The Setting: In Poison Study Yelena lives in a country which is ruled by a strict military regime. While I was initially put off by this fact (I mean who wants to be ruled by the military?), as the story goes on the Commander starts to grow on me. It actually seems like this military regime is giving its citizens a somewhat better life then what they had before! BUT I guess we will see if that is actually the truth of the matter as this series continues! 

Fast Paced Story: This is definitely a book for people who prefer plot driven stories rather than those that are focused on character development. A lot happens in this book! Yelena  commits murder, becomes a food taster, learns how to become a kickass spy, discovers magic, the list goes on and on! And that's only book one! I can only imagine what trouble she'll get into in the next book! 

Things I Disliked About Poison Study:
Hmm I actually can't think of anything that I absolutely disliked about Poison Study! Being the type of person who appreciates character development I probably would have liked it if Snyder had added a bit more in about Valek's past, but the story was still really great! I'll definitely be reading the rest of this series!


Rating: 4 Stars

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Yet another book that's just sitting on my self waiting for me. I have to be in the mood for this type, though. I don't want to ruin it my reading it at the wrong time.

Andrea @ Cozy Up said...

Love that you can't find much wrong with this story. It sounds so action packed, with a nice touch of historical in it. Definitely interesting. I've heard a lot about Maria V. Snyder, but haven't actually read anything by her. I think I need to jump on this bandwagon!

Andra said...

Excellent review! I just finished it myself and I can't agree more! I really loved the blend of historical with fantasy. Really fabulous stuff!

Post a Comment