Friday, 18 May 2012

Book Review: The Scorpio Races


It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Some riders live. Others die.

At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.

Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn’t given her much of a chance. So she enters the competition — the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.

When I was a little girl I was OBSESSED with horses. I had every single Pony Pal book ever written, toy horses were scattered around my room, and I constantly begged my parents to let me take up horseback riding. Unfortunately, they never budged, and so I was forced to live out my dreams of horseback riding through the books that I read. You can imagine my delight then when I found out that Maggie Stiefvater's newest book was about horse racing! While I HATED her first book, Shiver, I held out hope that The Scorpio Races would be a much better read. And for the most part, it was!

As I've read TONS of horse related novels over the years, I really appreciated the slight twist to these typical racing tales that Maggie brought to The Scorpio Races. The idea of an island where creatures known as water horses surfaced from the ocean was magical and alluring, and their vicious and blood thirsty natures was certainly thrilling! I also really enjoyed the alternating perspectives between Puck and Sean, as it helped to lend greater insight into their characters and the motivations that lead them to the races. 

The only thing that I didn't really enjoy about The Scorpio Races was the pacing of the actual storytelling. At times I found the book to be a bit slow, and I sat around waiting for something exciting to happen. When the actual race finally happened in the book, I was also disappointed to discover that it was only about ten pages long! After 375 pages of writing about Puck and Sean preparing for this epic race, it was over in the blink of an eye! I suppose that's how long a horse race lasts in real life, but I guess I expected the Scorpio Race itself to be a little more epic, like the one in the movie Hidalgo! 

Although I may have found The Scorpio Races to be a bit slow paced, I think its something that my 13 year old self would have loved! I would definitely recommended the book to younger readers who love stories about horses, and those who are fans of Maggie's Shiver trilogy. While none of Maggie's books have yet to personally "WOW" me, I'm curious to see what she comes up with next!

Rating: 3 Stars

5 comments:

Andrea @ Cozy Up said...

I've been interested in this one, I absolutely loved horses as a kid too (I used to ask for a horse for Christmas every year, I actually did get lessons so much fun!) I've heard from a lot of people that the pacing of this one made it difficult to get into. I'm happy to know that this is one for younger kids. Great review!

Jenny said...

I wasn't impressed with Shiver either so I hope this one is better for me.

Lan said...

I personally think Maggie Stiefvater would do so well as a contemporary writer instead of paranormal/fantasy. I couldn't finish either Shiver or The Scorpio Races. The writing was well done indeed but as you say, the plot was so slow that I almost felt cheated the book was called The Scorpio Races when only 10 pages was about the race!

Ninja Girl said...

I felt the same way about Shiver! Well, I didn't exactly HATE it, but I definitely was not in the "I love" category either. But this one sounds much more my speed. I'm glad you were honest about your feelings b/c it made me want to give this one a shot.
Thanks for the great review,
Ninja Girl

CHERRY SHANE said...

REAL AND POWERFUL LOVE SPELL TO GET YOUR EX BACK FAST,STOP DIVORCE GET BACK YOUR LOST ONE BACK WITH THE HELP OF DR. ERO SPELL EMAIL HIM AT: eromosalespelltemple@gmail.com


Hi My name is 'CHERRY SHANE' just want to share my experience with the world on how i got my husband back and saved my marriage... I was married for 7 years with 2 kids we lived happily until things started getting ugly, a point where he filed for divorce... I tried my best to make her change his mind & stay with me cause i loved him so much didn't want to loose him but everything just didn't work out... he moved out of the house and still went ahead to file for divorce... I pleaded and tried everything but still nothing worked. The breakthrough came when someone introduced me to this wonderful, great spell caster who eventually helped me out... I have never been a fan of things like this but just decided to try reluctantly cause I was desperate and left with no choice... He did special prayers and cast a return back spell on him... Within 7 days he called me and was sorry for all the emotional trauma he had cost me, moved back to the house and we continue to live happily, the kids are happy too and we are expecting our third child. I have introduced him to a lot of couples with problems across the world and they have had good news... Just thought I should share my experience cause I strongly believe someone out there need's it... You can email him via eromosalespelltemple@gmail.com website http://eromosalspiritualtemple.webs.com or call him with +2348161850195..

Post a Comment