Thursday, 10 May 2012

Book Review: Insurgent



Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.

Veronica Roth is on a roll. With the wild success of her first book, Divergent, book addicts across the world held their breath in anticipation to find out what would happen next. After finishing the book myself last summer, I became one of Veronica Roth's biggest groupies, thrusting Divergent upon every friend and family member I could find! Luckily, the second book in her series, Insurgent, was just as addicting and page turning as the first! 

In Insurgent, readers are immediately thrown back into the thick of things, as Veronica Roth picks up the story right where she left off. As a result, rather than boring readers with a recap of everything that happened in Divergent (an annoying tendency of many authors that really insults my intelligence), the feelings of anxiety and tension that were present at the end of the first novel quickly resurface. In fact, Insurgent was a pretty emotionally driven book in general. Tris's feelings of guilt and loyalty really causes her character to evolve and change through the course of the novel. While Tris was a bit too angsty at times for my taste, I guess you can't really blame the girl after everything she's had to go through! 


One of the things I enjoyed most about Insurgent, however, was that there were a few twists and turns that I never saw coming! There were enough betrayals, alliances, and rebellions to make my head spin!  One of them actually caused me to gasp out loud in surprise! After reading a lot of predictable books lately, it was awesome to be caught off guard for once, and not have any idea of how the book was going to end! 

As much as I hate to say it (being Veronica Roth's groupie and everything), despite the fact that I enjoyed my time spent reading Insurgent, it wasn't nearly as good as Divergent. It's hard for me to exactly put my finger on what was missing in this book, but the closest answer I can come up with is that there just wasn't enough Four in it for my taste (which is a pretty lame excuse...I know). (Side note: Yes, I still refer to Tobias as Four. I don't care what Tris calls him, the name Four has strangely grown on me!) It was also kind of depressing to see all of the factions and friendships being torn apart. Hopefully by the third book there will be some kind of happy conclusion to put me back at ease! 


Even though Insurgent didn't quite meet my high expectations, this series is still one of my all time favourites (so far). As in Divergent, Veronica Roth ended Insurgent with a BANG, and so I'm once again holding my breath to find out what will happen next! With so many possibilities now open, I can't even begin to imagine what direction the third book will take! 

Rating: 4 Stars 

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Well, I'm glad you enjoyed it mostly. Expectations can kill books for me and when you love a series and one book just doesn't hold up it's frustrating.

P.E. said...

I still haven't read Insurgence yet, but I expect great things too. I'm trying to keep my expectations in check though. I like that you said it was twisty- I hate guessing what will happen. Overall this is probably one of my most awaited books (if I ever get around to reading it, lol).

Hollie said...

Insurgent was so full of twists and turns, but I think that's why I loved it so much! I have a love/hate issue with the ending too...I loved the ending but hate the fact that we have to wait so long for book three to be released.

Great review!

CHERRY SHANE said...

REAL AND POWERFUL LOVE SPELL TO GET YOUR EX BACK FAST,STOP DIVORCE GET BACK YOUR LOST ONE BACK WITH THE HELP OF DR. ERO SPELL EMAIL HIM AT: eromosalespelltemple@gmail.com


Hi My name is 'CHERRY SHANE' just want to share my experience with the world on how i got my husband back and saved my marriage... I was married for 7 years with 2 kids we lived happily until things started getting ugly, a point where he filed for divorce... I tried my best to make her change his mind & stay with me cause i loved him so much didn't want to loose him but everything just didn't work out... he moved out of the house and still went ahead to file for divorce... I pleaded and tried everything but still nothing worked. The breakthrough came when someone introduced me to this wonderful, great spell caster who eventually helped me out... I have never been a fan of things like this but just decided to try reluctantly cause I was desperate and left with no choice... He did special prayers and cast a return back spell on him... Within 7 days he called me and was sorry for all the emotional trauma he had cost me, moved back to the house and we continue to live happily, the kids are happy too and we are expecting our third child. I have introduced him to a lot of couples with problems across the world and they have had good news... Just thought I should share my experience cause I strongly believe someone out there need's it... You can email him via eromosalespelltemple@gmail.com website http://eromosalspiritualtemple.webs.com or call him with +2348161850195..

Post a Comment