Thursday, 12 April 2012

Book Review: Touch

When a strange boy tumbles down a river embankment and lands at her feet, seventeen-year-old adrenaline junkie Deznee Cross snatches the opportunity to piss off her father by bringing the mysterious hottie with ice blue eyes home. 

Except there’s something off with Kale. He wears her shoes in the shower, is overly fascinated with things like DVDs and vases, and acts like she’ll turn to dust if he touches her. It’s not until Dez’s father shows up, wielding a gun and knowing more about Kale than he should, that Dez realizes there’s more to this boy—and her father’s “law firm”—than she realized. 

Kale has been a prisoner of Denazen Corporation—an organization devoted to collecting “special” kids known as Sixes and using them as weapons—his entire life. And, oh yeah, his touch? It kills. The two team up with a group of rogue Sixes hellbent on taking down Denazen before they’re caught and her father discovers the biggest secret of all. A secret Dez has spent her life keeping safe.
 

Talk about a wild ride! When I first picked up Touch by Jus Accardo I had no idea what to expect. While I've heard great things about it from other bloggers, I definitely did not anticipate Touch to be as action packed and kick ass as it was! Fans of X-Men will devour this novel, which focuses on a group of teens who each have unique powers due to a mutation in their sixth chromosome. Sure, the concept of kids with super powers isn't new or groundbreaking, but Accardo throws in enough twists and turns to keep readers hanging onto her every word! 

Not only did Jus Accardo create a kickass novel, but also a pretty unique cast of characters. I loved the fact that the main female protagonist, Deznee, was the kind of girl who wouldn't take (pardon the language) sh*t from anyone. It's very rare that I come across a strong female character like Deznee, so it was certainly a nice surprise! The character of Kale was also pretty....different. At first I found his awkward personality a bit off-putting, but as the story progressed his child like innocence really grew on me! I suppose anyone experiencing freedom for the first time is bound to be a bit awkward.

The only real problem that I had with Touch was that it started out a bit too slow for me. After reading TONS of 5 star reviews for it, I expected the book to capture my attention from page one. While Touch eventually did become extremely gripping and entertaining, I didn't really feel the magic until about the fifth or sixth chapter. Despite the slow start, Touch is definitely a great book to read when you are in the mood for a bit of adventure! I'll certainly be reading the next book in the series, Toxic, when it hits stores in September. I just have to find out what will happen to Deznee, Kale, and the other Sixes next! 

When it came to picking a rating for Touch I really struggled! My first instinct was to give it a 5 star rating, but I think that was only my reaction because I haven't really read any YA that I have enjoyed quite as much as this one lately. So while I have personally given this book a 5 star rating, I think many of my close friends would probably rate it as a 4. 

Rating: 5 Stars

4 comments:

Ikhlas said...

Great review, Natalie! I haven't heard of this one before, but it sounds intriguing! All I read is YA, so I'm eager to read this and see what I would rate it in comparison :D

Jenny said...

K, now I. Really excited to get to this one.

Kelly said...

I'm pretty sure I gave this one a 4, but I loved it! I think I found the ending a little chaotic and rushed, which is why it lost a star. But I definitely can't wait for Toxic!

Great review :)

Kelly
Radiant Shadows

Natalie said...

Ikhlas: You should totally pick it up to read! I'd be really interested to see your thoughts and opinions on it!

Jenny: Read it...NOW!

Kelly: True, the ending was a bit chaotic and rushed...but so was my reading of the book because I was so excited to find out what would happen next!

Post a Comment