Monday, 23 April 2012

Book Review: This Is A Love Story

This is a love story.
Boy meets girl and girl falls for boy - that much is true.
But when Sienna meets Nick it's not the way it happens in love stories. It's because of a squirrel on water skis...
She sees Nick's dangerous brown eyes and thinks,
Don't.
Fall.
Into.
Them.
Who will be there to catch Siena when she falls? She is so fragile. She has so many secrets, and he is not that serious.

This was one of those books that was frustrating....but in a good way! From the very first chapter I fell for Nick and Sienna, two friends who are secretly in love with each other. Funny and caring, readers can't help but root for these two charismatic characters to wind up together happily ever after! While Sienna is a sweet, down to earth girl that everyone can't help but befriend, Nick is an outrageous jokester who never wants to grow up. An odd pair to be sure, yet they are perfect for each other in every way possible!

This is where the frustration sets in...because no matter how much they love each other, something always seems to happen to keep them apart. As the back of the book so perfectly describes, This Is A Love Story is "the story of two people destined never to come together in the great love affair they crave more than anything else." With this forewarning in mind, I tried to stay as neutral as possible while reading this book, terrified that these two characters that I cared so much about would wind up either dead or married to other people by the end. 

Without giving away any spoilers, I will tell you this much, the ending was surprisingly good! While it was slightly unexpected, I found myself letting out a big sigh of relief and satisfaction that I had been holding onto the entire time I was reading. Overall, the story of Nick and Sienna's friendship was super funny, cute, and left me with a big smile on my face at the end! After witnessing their ups and downs, it was nice to see how their lives turned out over the five years that this book takes place. In many ways, I feel like they had become friends of my own! 

On a more personal note, I think one of the reasons I connected so well to this book was that parts of it somewhat mirrored my own life. My boyfriend and I have been together for three and a half years now, but before we started dating we became best friends. Due to a series of mishaps and  misunderstandings, however, we were like Sienna and Nick for a while, and almost didn't end up dating! Long story short, we eventually figured everything out and have been happy every since! 

Putting all of this mushy stuff aside, you are probably wondering whether or not I would recommend this book. My verdict: Definitely! It was a really cute, light, and fun read that I think most fans of romance and chick lit will enjoy. Make sure to add this one to your to-read list for the summer! This Is A Love Story has already been published in the UK, but it will be hitting North American shelves on May 1st! 

Rating: 4 Stars

8 comments:

Jacquelynne said...

Fantastic review Natalie! I am not one for chick lit but this one sounds adorable and I think I may just have to check it out :)

Andrea @ Cozy Up said...

I haven't heard of this one before, but it definitely sounds like a book that is right up my alley! I'm really intrigued with you saying that the end is surprisingly good, and slightly unexpected. I want to read it now just for that. Great review Natalie!

Jenny said...

I haven't heard of this one either but it sounds perfect for a lazy summer afternoon. Good thing summers coming up. ;)

Ikhlas said...

Great review! Been dying to read this since I read Chelsey's review, so I hope I can get my hands on this soon :D

Evie said...

Great review, Natalie! :)
I love me a good love story and if it's a bit challenging - even better! There are way too many romance stories out there that are just all too predictable - this one sounds truly unique! I'm definitely adding it to my TBR, thanks so much for spotlighting it!

Awesome meeting you at the RAZORBILL event! let me know next time you're in town, we shall grab a coffee or something! :)

Natalie said...

Thanks everyone :D

And it was awesome getting to meet you too Evie! Hopefully we will meet up again sometime soon :)

Mel - Thedailyprophecy. said...

Very nice review! It was fun to read it :) I would never choose to read this book, but it sounds pretty good actually! A summer read :D I think I'm going to keep an eye on this one.

Chelsey said...

Fabulous review Nat =)! I'm so glad you liked it!
Release date tomorrow! I will definitely be posting your review on our Twitter =D!

Post a Comment