Monday, 2 April 2012

Book Review: Immortal City



Jackson Godspeed is the hottest young Angel in a city filled with them. He's days away from becoming a full Guardian, and people around the world are already competing for the chance to be watched over by him. Everyone's obsessed with the Angels and the lucky people they protect--everyone except for Madison Montgomery. 

Maddy's the one girl in Angel City who doesn't breathlessly follow the Angels on TV and gossip blogs. When she meets Jackson, she doesn't recognize him. But Jackson is instantly captivated by her, and against all odds the two fall in love. 

Maddy is swiftly caught up in Jackson's scene, a world of glamour, paparazzi - and murder. A serial killer is on the loose, leaving dead Angels' wings for the police to find on the Walk of Fame. Even the Guardians are powerless to protect themselves in the face of this threat … and this time it's up to Maddy to save Jackson.

When I first heard about Immortal City by Scott Speer, I was really intrigued, but hesitant. While I thought the concept of a world in which Guardian Angels are treated like celebrities was really cool, I wasn't sure that the author would be able to pull it off very well. For those of you who don't know, Scott Speer is actually a movie and music video director, and has worked with artists like Will.I.Am and Jordin Sparks. Although I could imagine Speer's experience in Hollywood  helping him to pull off the whole celebrity side of the story, I couldn't help but assume his writing skills would be terrible. But boy was I wrong! Not only does Speer write in a wonderfully flowing manner, but he manages to do so while weaving together a pretty good love story! 

That isn't to say that the romance in Immortal City blew me away, but it was definitely a nice piece of fluff to curl up with after a stressful day of school! I managed to tear through the entire book in about two nights, curious to find out who was murdering the Angels, and what would happen to Maddy. The ending actually managed to catch me a bit off guard, which doesn't happen very often! While I was able to figure out who the murderer was a few chapters before it was revealed, there was a tiny twist at the end which really caught my attention! Without giving away any spoilers I will say this much, I will definitely be checking out the next book in this series! 

There was only one thing that really bugged me about this book, and it was the way that it portrayed the angels. This was the first angel book that I have ever read, so when I first started reading it I found it hard to imagine Guardian Angels being self-centred enough to sell their ability to save humans to the highest bidder. I guess that's the old Catholic girl side coming out in me haha! Once I was able to put my skepticism aside, however, I really did enjoy the novel! 

Overall, Immortal City is definitely a novel to check out if you are looking for something nice, light, and fun to read! While this is only the first angel book that I've read, I'm sure all of those hardcore YA angel fans out there will devour this one in an instant! The story is unique, and Scott Speer does a good job of creating a pretty imaginative world! Considering his work as a director, I wonder if he plans on turning his novel into a movie? I guess only time will tell! 

Rating: 4 Stars



4 comments:

Jenny said...

I've yet to read and angel book that I did like. I've got this one on my TBR list and I'm hoping I like it. I'll try to go into it with your thoughts on it in mind.

Ikhlas said...

Great review, Natalie!

I'm actually rather sick of angel stories, especially in the YA genre (Hush, Hush anyone?) and find the concept of this one refreshingly different.

Hope I get my hands on this soon :)

Jackie @ the hardcover obsession said...

It really is a great piece of fluff and I ended up liking it more than I thought! Great review - I am glad you enjoyed it!! It was definitely a different angel story in regards to all the others out there and I found the concept refreshing! Hopefully the second book (if there is going to be one, lol) is just as good and unique. I couldn't tell if there was going to be a second book in the series - it was a good ending but not one where I thought it could continue into another book if he chooses not too.

Natalie said...

True Jackie! I suppose he could kind of just end the story here....but if he does he'll be leaving readers with ALOT of unanswered questions! Not only that, the whole conflict between NAS and those against the Angels hasn't been resolved at all. I feel like he has more planned to this story... And on his Facebook page he says that "Immortal City Book 1 comes out April 3" so I'm assuming that means it is a series...

Post a Comment