Monday, 26 March 2012

Book Review: Under My Skin


 
For the past six months, something has been happening to young people in Santa Feliz. Week after week, there's news of another teen changing shape, transforming from human to wild animal and back again. The federal government has stepped in, running public service announcements calling for affected youth to turn themselves in for "orientation and training."

Josh Saunders has seen the news reports, but he is still unprepared when it happens to him. One minute he's arguing with his mother's boyfriend and the next, he is looming over the man, blood dripping from his claws—he has transformed into a mountain lion. When he switches back to his human body, he knows his life has changed forever. He has become a Wildling.


When I first heard about the concept of Under My Skin by Charles de Lint I just knew that I had to read it. For some reason the synopsis reminded me of the Animorphs series I  devoured back in my childhood days. I was so excited for this book that as soon as I received a copy for review from Razorbill I put all of my other books aside and tore through this one instead! Unfortunately, while Under My Skin was certainly an enjoyable and well written read, I couldn't help but feel a twinge of disappointment. Don't get me wrong, the storyline and characters were great, but there was just a certain something missing in the book that prevented me from falling head over heels in love with it. 

While there may have been a bit of magic missing from the book, that isn't to say that other readers won't devour and love this novel. It has a lot of great qualities about it, for example, the switching perspectives between Josh and Marina, the action packed escape scenes, and a slew of intriguing supporting characters. One of the best things about Under My Skin, however, is the fact that I think this is a novel that will heavily appeal to teenage boys. Due to the fact that the majority of the young adult fiction currently being published is aimed at girls, I often wonder what many of the male YA lovers are reading out there. Perhaps, Under My Skin is the answer to this question, as the adventure and action driven plot is definitely more well suited to male rather than female readers. 

Overall, Under My Skin is fast paced and enjoyable, but just wasn't the right book for ME. I'll probably pass it along to my boyfriend next, who I think will enjoy it much more than I did. That being said, I think this book would make for an awesome television show! All of the action and shapeshifting that goes on in the book would definitely be exciting to see acted out in real life! 

Rating: 3 Stars

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Well, now I want to read it just because you said it might appeal to boys. ;)

Andrea @ Cozy Up said...

I got this book from Razorbill as well, and my thoughts were exactly the same as yours when I read the synopsis. I'm happy to hear that this is a good book for teenage boys, there really isn't much out there. I'm really intrigued by this. Thanks for the review!

Post a Comment